Monday, April 11, 2011

Busy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I have not posted lately. I am taking my hospital's critical care course, which has classroom, computer, and practicum components. The computer part is the ECCO curriculum, which the instructors warned me would be time consuming. I didn't believe them, but I do now. The cardiovascular lesson took hours! And the test was actually kind of hard. My kids were like "Mom, how can it be hard? You can look at your notes while you take it."
I said "Well, yes, but the questions can be complicated. You actually have to think." 
"Thinking! Ewwwwww!" they said. I have to agree : )

It is also mandatory education time at the hospital. This is where the employees have to take about a hundred tests online about various topics, ranging from preventing falls to disaster management to radiation safety. You used to be able to take the test without actually reading the learning material. They fixed that though, so now one must wade through the lesson before taking the test. Why I have to know the routes of transmission for Ebola, I'm not sure. And learning how to prevent surgical fires when I'm not an OR nurse? Hmmm.
I liked this answer option regarding what do do if you are passing by a room and see that an elderly patient on fall precautions is struggling to get out of their bed: "Close the door and go to lunch". The correct answer was probably "stay with the patient and call for help", but I really liked the other one better.

Yesterday one of the doctors told me that I looked like Juliette Lewis. I'm not sure if that is a compliment or what. She has played some really crazy characters. I asked him if he thought I was psycho. He said that he thought that she and I had some similar features and that he hoped that I would refrain from psychotic behavior, at least at work. I told him I would try.

Later on in the day, a patient was waking up in the PACU. I explained to him that his surgery was over. He said "Really? I thought you were an angel!"

Sweet talker.

3 comments:

  1. Hi rnraquel,

    I am Jessica Mitchell, a public relations coordinator. I am working with the Sickle Cell Disease Association of America and Rainbow Uniforms on a national donation drive. I was wondering if you could share the news release with your readers, friends and family. Thank you for your help.


    Best Wishes,
    Jessica Mitchell
    Public Relations, M.S. 2011
    Syracuse University
    Jamitc02@syr.edu

    Here is the info:

    The Sickle Cell Disease Association of America & Rainbow Uniforms Unite for Sickle Cell Anemia Donation Drive

    The Saving Lives Under the Rainbow Campaign seeks to continue raising the awareness of Sickle Cell Anemia among healthcare workers in the United States. A donation drive is being held to raise funds for initiatives that improve the lives of Sickle Cell Anemia survivors. Programs held by SCDAA include testing, counseling, scholarships and technical training programs.

    For every donation to help fight sickle cell, Rainbow Uniforms will give discounts on scrubs, uniforms and other medical accessories.

    We cordially invite your hospital, school, clinic or nursing home to join us in this initiative.

    Donations to the Sickle Cell Association of America will grant employees at your hospital or nursing home with weekly discounts at Rainbow Uniforms.

    Donations can be made at RainbowUniforms.com

    For more information contact:

    Jessica Mitchell
    Public Relations, M.S. 2011
    Syracuse University
    Jamitc02@syr.edu

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I am a new ICU nurse and I just finished ECCO. Holy crap was that long and horrible! I am also a new grad, and I was enjoying my recent divorce to books, notecards, and endless hours care plans. Then I was informed orientation included ECCO. At first I was excited, thinking I was going to learn so much. The love affair was short lived. Thank God I had 6 months to complete it and I was paid for every last drop of time it too me. I feel your pain. I hope your relationship is short lived!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. ECCO is kind of overwhelming. We only have 12 weeks to do it! I am on Pulmonary right now and Endocrine next week. I will be so relieved when it is over!

    ReplyDelete